What's inside our brains?

Our brains work in mysterious ways!

I was watching the Pixar movie Inside Out today and it does a suprisingly good job of expalining how the brain processes all these emotions all at once, to make you do, what you do. It would look like a kid's movie but I guess they touch on some very important concepts of how memories are formed and how they are overwritten over time thereby creating very unique human beings that each one of us are.



Given the pandemic, and even in general, we have seen emotional wellbeing being talked about a lot. With Simon Biles, the US gymnastics champion, bowing out of the Olympics citing mental health converns and Naomi Osaka pulling out of multiple tennis tournaments (French open, Wimbledon) citing mental health concerns, it is a topic that needs attention. And this animated movie does just that very nicely. Inside Out touches on how your emotions can crumble around you. It also illustrates how emotions of the people around you affect you in good ways and bad. And most importantly it tells you how joy and happiness are not the only emotions that needs to be nurtured. Being sad can be your signal to others that you need help. And you are not getting help unless you ask for it. So go be sad once in a while!

In short a great movie, but that's not what made me write this post.




It was another experience around memories that I just had,  that I found interesting. I was watching Silicon Valley and came across this scene. And what somehow caught my eye was this picture on the wall.




 And for some weird reason it seemed familiar and important, but I just could not place it. The only thing that I could think of was this had something to do with image processing. And I thought so because given that the protagonist in the series is working on a image compression software, it somehow just rang a bell.

A quick search for "famous images in image processing" and there it is - the very first result. Turns out it is a picture cropped from Playboy and pretty much the standard for image processing test since 1973. (I know everyone is going to say that I should be reading better books but I'll ignore those for now 😃 ). More about the picture being discussed here.




The funny part is if you ask me I  still don't remember knowing this and I still can't think of where I might have read this. But my brain somehow just knows. And there would be countless such inconsequential memories that are lying around in our brains to pop up in some such moment. And it's  these memories that make us all the unique individuals that we all are. Interesting, isn't it? 

And then we have Elon Musk who is planning to plant a chip in a human brain and read all these memories directly from the brain. Now that's on the edge of science fiction. Interesting indeed!
       









No comments

Powered by Blogger.